These Philly Cheesesteak Jalapeno Poppers are a flavorful twist on a low carb favorite! Loaded with cheese and plenty of spice, you can't go wrong ...
This Keto Calzones recipe is perfect for any low carb dieter who’s missing dough. With an easy almond flour and mozzarella base, your diet is saved!
I think I love calzones even more than I love pizza. I can’t explain it, but it’s always been my go-to pick at Italian restaurants.
Of course a typical calzone is full of carbs, and wouldn’t be a great for for a keto diet…but a simple almond flour substitution can make a delicious, gluten free, keto calzone in no time!
How to make almond flour dough
This dough is a variation of the popular “fathead” dough. Other variations are used for my keto air fryer bagels and keto air fryer rolls. It’s so incredibly versatile, it can easily become a staple of your diet.
While a typical fathead dough uses almond flour, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, egg, we’re simplifying it just a bit to make this keto calzone even quicker and easier to make!
All you’ll need for this dough is:
- Almond Flour (I prefer super finely sifted blanched almond flour)
- Mozzarella Cheese (I recommend cutting it off of the block. This way, you won’t have added fillers and the cheese will melt more easily)
- Egg (you’ll use the white of the egg to make the dough more moist, and the yolk to brush on the dough before cooking)
How to cook keto calzones in the air fryer
Here are some helpful tips to getting the best final product!
- If your dough dries out while molding the calzones, you can pop it back in the microwave for about 15 seconds to help it become easier to work with again.
- Feel free to fill your keto calzones with any of your favorite toppings! There are so many variations you can make from BBQ Chicken to Ham and Cheese!
- Just to make flipping and clean up easier, and to reduce the risk of the dough sticking, I think it’s wise to use air fryer parchment when cooking this recipe.
- A little bit of cooking spray on the dough immediately before air frying can be really helpful for helping to get that beautiful, crispy golden exterior.
This recipe makes two large and filling calzones. For one of them you’re looking at:
Calories: 733 Calories
Total Carbs: 13.4g
Net Carbs: 7.15g
- 1 large egg, divided
- 4 ounces mozzarella, cubed or shredded
- 1 cup blanched finely ground almond flour
- 28 slices pepperoni
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan + more for garnish (optional)
- Cut two 6-inch round pieces of parchment and set aside.
- Crack open the egg and separate the white and yolk into two small separate bowls.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, mix the mozzarella and almond flour. Microwave for 45 seconds or until melted. Fold together using a spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Mix the egg white into the dough until fully combined.
- Continue working dough with your hands as needed to form a smooth ball.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each into a 6 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. This works best on parchment or a plastic cutting board. If it sticks to the rolling pin sprinkle water over the dough or rolling pin.
- Place 14 slices of pepperoni on half of each dough circle.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture around each calzone. Sprinkle each calzone with 1 tablespoon of parmesan.
- Gently fold the calzones closed, pressing and rolling the edges to seal. Adding a little water can help if it seems dry.
- Whisk the remaining egg yolk and brush over each calzone.
- Place onto the precut parchment pieces and into the air fryer basket, working in batches if needed.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes and the temperature for 360 degrees. Check after 8-10 minutes , the top should be turning golden and firm. Carefully flip and cook for a remaining 3-5 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- Remove and let cool for at least 5 minutes. Sprinkle with top with italian seasoning and parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Servings Serving Size: 1 Calzone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 732Total Fat: 59.05gCarbohydrates: 13.4gNet Carbohydrates: 7.15gFiber: 6.25gProtein: 38.8g